Saturday, November 6, 2010

Space

So the project I'm currently working on is sort of an independent one. I've some time and money I can spread out over a few months, but I'm also swamped right now with another project and so time available for this independent one sort of wafts in and out. I do it on the bus ride to work.. random snippets of time during work.. sometimes at night, but I mostly fall asleep during the process.

I'm an engineer/researcher and what we do is start projects that either us or our clients suggest. We start on the very conceptual research end, and step by step, funding stage by funding stage, edge it from nothingness into a fully employed product. The independent venture I'm doing now was an arrant request from the client, and I'm seeing if I can turn it into something more -- that elusive Need. If all goes well at the end of this time period, the clients, my peers, my bosses, will smile down upon the work I have done and give it its blessings to grow wings and birth a real project.

Anyway, this is my space (and I begin with space because I know it to be fundamental): I have an open notebook which is going to be my whiteboard and I have these large mirrors in my room I plan to stick post its on once I buy my quintessential post-its. I'll buy them as soon as I decide what color will match my room nicely. I'm thinking about getting a big white board to do my proper doodlings. At work my space is pretty generic, I've a cubicle where not much goes on beyond the computer, but I have carved out the occasional space and adorned it with the occasional A3 paper to do some occasional abstract thinking. We have a lab that most no one uses, so I'm thinking of privately conquering it as my d-think space and flooding it with post-its, scrap wood, foam, tape and glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment